top of page
  • account4651

Should You Get Flood Insurance Too?

Updated: Dec 6, 2021

Has flooding become increasingly common in the area where you live? Apart from the heartache of seeing your hard-earned property get damaged right before your eyes, it is the also that cost of clean-up that can be very heavy on the heart and the pocket as well. If you live in an area where flooding has become common, it is best to get additional flood insurance as an add-on to your home insurance. Luckily for you, there are several insurance companies offering flood insurance coverage. Finding one has become easier than it was before.

What does it mean to have Flood Insurance?

If you have building insurance, damages as a result of flooding is a standard part of the package. However, it does not cover the damages the flood could cause the contents of your property. Unless you have insurance for the contents of your home, then you likely need additional flood insurance to make sure that everything is covered. What does it mean to have flood insurance? Here are some of the instances when they become useful:

· A river or canal bursts in its banks and your property becomes one of the victims.

· The flooding of seawater due to adverse weather conditions in the area.

· Groundwater was coming up the surface as a result of substantial rainfall.

What can you Expect to form Flood Insurance?

Dealing with the after-effects of the flood can be exhausting, but knowing that you have insurance to cover the damages if more than comforting. In particular, flood insurance includes the following:

· The removal of debris left in your place.

· The fees of professionals such as architects, engineers and even surveyors to make sure that the rebuilding of your property is done right.

· The repair of broken furniture or the replacement of them when needed.

· Repair, restore or replacement of everything else that the flood left damaged.

However, there is a considerable part of the flood insurance coverage that you also need to understand. It is best to talk to an insurance advisor for the specific concerns that you may have. It is important to remember that the insurance company will only pay out depending on the contents of your insurance as well as the cost of your coverage. Ask the insurance company if they follow the “new for old” policy. Other than the cost of getting your clothes replaced where usually a wear and tear deduction applies, most plans offer new for an old replacement policy. Ask, and you shall get answers. It is the best way you can get your home, and everything in it protected from the worst like damages brought by the flood.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page