What To Do In Case Of A Car Accident
Updated: Dec 6, 2021
Getting involved in a car crash can be a very stressful time. It is like you have a dozen of questions you’d like to ask all at once, but you don’t know whom it asks them from. Should you call the police first or should you move your car to the side of the street so as not to bother the traffic in the area? Or perhaps you should call medical the help first? Should you call the insurance representative for the claim or should you wait until the police release their report?
The following list of tips should guide you through one of the most difficult times in your life. Hopefully, you’ll be able to make sound decisions despite the accident that you’ve been involved in.
First, conduct a health check. Here are the things you need to do:
• Check yourself. Do a health check of yourself first. If you have injuries, ask someone to call 911, or you can do it yourself if you can. If you are seriously injured, remember to try not to move. Wait until the emergency response team comes and helps you.
• Conduct a health check of the people you’re with in the car. If any of them are injured, make sure to call for medical help immediately.
• If you and every other passenger in your car are only suffering from minor injuries, it is best to get out of the car and walk to the side of the road where you are much safer.
• Wait for help to come. If you can turn on the hazard lights so that the other vehicles behind you will know that you’re not moving because you are involved in an accident. You should also set up the road warning devices in the front and at the back to make the other motorists informed of what happened.
Then, notify the authorities of the accident. What does it mean?
• Whether it is a minor accident or a big one, it is important that you call the police. In fact, it is legally required. They will be the ones conducting the report of what happened. Their report will be used in filing a claim for your car insurance.
• Notify your insurance representative about what happened. Some companies immediately send their representatives to the scene of the accident. When they do, it is best to ask them about the process for filing a claim, what you need to prepare and whether or not the company will cover the accident.
Being involved in an accident can indeed be very stressful. Not only because you’re life has been put in danger, but because you don’t know what to do first. With these tips, you can hopefully file an insurance claim without worries.